When life gives you lemons, why stop at lemonade? Turn those sunny citrus delights into a delectable treat that will brighten up your day—the Lemon Shortbread Cookie. In this blog post, we’ll share a delightful recipe that combines the buttery goodness of classic shortbread with the zesty freshness of lemons. These cookies are the perfect blend of sweet and tangy, making them an ideal companion for your afternoon tea or a delightful snack any time of day. Please note that this lemon shortbread cookie recipe isn’t our own, however this will give you an excellent lemon shortbread cookie that you can make from the comfort of your own home.
For the Lemon Shortbread Cookies, you’ll need:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat Your Oven: Start by preheating your oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Cream the Butter: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. This usually takes about 2-3 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Add the Lemon Zest and Juice: Grate the zest of two lemons directly into the bowl with the butter-sugar mixture. Then, squeeze out the juice from these lemons and add it to the mix. Blend until well combined.
- Incorporate Dry Ingredients: Gradually add the flour and salt to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; you want the dough to come together but remain crumbly.
- Form the Dough: Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it a few times until it forms a cohesive ball.
- Shape the Cookies: Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) thickness. You can use a rolling pin to help achieve an even thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut out your desired shapes.
- Chill the Cookies: Place the cut-out cookies on the prepared baking sheet and refrigerate them for about 15-20 minutes. Chilling the dough helps the cookies hold their shape during baking.
- Bake to Perfection: After chilling, bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until they turn a light golden brown around the edges. Keep a close eye on them as they can go from perfect to overbaked quickly.
- Cool and Enjoy: Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
There you have it—the perfect recipe for Lemon Shortbread Cookies that will brighten up your day with their delightful zesty flavour and melt-in-your-mouth texture. These cookies are a fantastic addition to your tea-time rituals, a thoughtful gift for friends and family, or a sweet indulgence for yourself whenever you need a citrusy pick-me-up.
The combination of buttery richness and the refreshing tang of lemon zest and juice make these cookies a year-round favourite. So, don’t let those lemons sit idle—transform them into lemon shortbread cookies and savour the sunshine with every bite. Enjoy!