Lavender biscuits, also known as lavender shortbread, are a delightful departure from traditional biscuits or shortbread cookies. With their delicate fragrance and subtle floral notes, lavender biscuits add a touch of elegance to your tea time or afternoon treat. In this blog post, we’ll explore the captivating world of lavender biscuits, their history, and provide you with a recipe that allows you to infuse your baked goods with the essence of lavender.
The Allure of Lavender Biscuits.
Ingredients for Lavender Biscuits:
For your batch of Lavender Biscuits, you’ll need:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dried culinary lavender buds
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat Your Oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Grind the Lavender: Use a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder to finely grind the dried lavender buds. This will release their aroma and flavour. Alternatively, you can leave the buds whole for a milder lavender flavour.
- Cream the Butter and Sugar: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. This usually takes about 2-3 minutes of mixing with an electric mixer.
- Add Flavour (Optional): Incorporate the pure vanilla extract into the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until well combined. This step is optional but adds a delightful fragrance and flavour to your biscuits.
- Incorporate Dry Ingredients: Gradually add the all-purpose flour, ground lavender, and a pinch of salt to the mixture. Mix until the dough just comes together. Be careful not to overmix; you want a crumbly, sandy texture.
- Shape the Dough: Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it a few times until it forms a cohesive ball.
- Form the Biscuits: Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) thickness. Use biscuit cutters to cut out your desired shapes.
- Bake to Perfection: Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 15-18 minutes, or until the edges become slightly firm and they no longer look wet on top.
- Cool and Enjoy: Remove the Lavender Biscuits from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Lavender biscuits are a testament to the beauty of incorporating unique and aromatic flavours into traditional baked goods. They offer a delightful twist on classic shortbread, infusing your treats with a touch of sophistication and the fragrant charm of lavender.
So, embrace the allure of lavender, gather your ingredients, and embark on the journey of creating these elegant and fragrant biscuits. Share them with friends and family, and savour the delicate floral notes that lavender brings to your tea time or afternoon indulgence. Lavender biscuits are not just cookies; they are a sensory experience that adds a touch of elegance to every bite.